Freshman student Michael Savage Jr. was fatally shocked last year at the power plant of a Delaware County trade school. According to the Philadelphia Daily News, his parents Laurie and Michael Savage Sr. have filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the Williamson Free School of Mechanical Trades last week over their 18-year-old son's death.
Savage's parents argued that their son did not have the right equipment and was not properly trained when he was sent to work on an energized commercial light fixture. Savage and a fellow student had removed the old wiring from the fixture and put a type of metal cable in its place. Savage wound up shocked when he tried to plug the light fixture into a portable cord reel.
The suit alleged that the school failed in offering basic first-aid training and in having defibrillators on site. The lawsuit also alleged that the school fell short in providing Michael Savage Jr. with safety gear, like electrical-testing equipment and safety gloves. General Electric, the producer of the light fixture, was also named in the lawsuit in an argument that the fixture was flawed and unreasonably hazardous when it was sold.
PA personal injury attorney Thomas Sheridan claims that Michael Savage Jr. was left convulsing on the floor because no one knew CPR and the school was without a defibrillator. The lawsuit also asserts that Williamson used students to perform repairs to save itself money and seeks in excess of $50,000 in damages.
If a loved one has died after an injury or accident resulting from the negligence of another person, company or entity, contact an experienced PA personal injury attorney to discuss legal rights and your potential case.